Saturday, May 9, 2009

Star Trek

No spoilers were spawned in the writing of this blog.

Christopher Pike always deserved better than once for yes and twice for no.

The birth of James T. Kirk made me weep openly in a movie theatre.

I have been and always shall be your friend.

Tell my mother I feel fine.

The Kobayashi Maru can be saved.

I always thought I liked ST:TNG better because I loved each of the main characters so well, however, it occurs to me that I loved each of them individually. I did not love them as a unit; they were standoffish to one another in the tone that was set by the all-time loner poet captain, Jean-Luc Picard. The OS crew is a unit, bound by common destiny and a transcendent sort of love. Beyond time, death, and court marshal, they find one another again and again as though magnetically charged to attract each other.

My favorite series has been rebooted. Present me with the pips of rank as a purist and I shall wear them. Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scot. I am a TOS fan first and foremost from here on out.

Majel is and always will be the soulful voice of the Enterprise.

This is our new mythology people; it is no accident that Iowa echoes Tattooine. The hero has a thousand faces, but He is one.

Gene would have approved.

Kirk is on his Enterprise, and all is right with the worlds.

1 comment:

Amy said...

So I've been waiting to see the movie, but I cried at Kirk's birth too! Had to quiet my sobs. I've never really watched the spin-offs, a litte DS9 and Enterprise here and there, but spent a lot of my youth watching the original in syndication.

Loved it!